WHAT IS HOSPICE CARE?
Hospice care is a special type of care designed to provide comfort and support to clients and their families when a life-limiting illness no longer responds to cure-oriented treatments.
Hospice care is designed to provide the best possible quality of life for those with a life limiting illness. The care is provided in the comforts of your home or a homelike setting and is 100% covered by Medicare. Elevation Hospice not only meets the comprehensive guidelines Medicare expects to be a hospice provider, but adheres to the elevated standards required by our accrediting body CHAP, Inc.
Elevation Hospice is also a We Honor Veterans Partner Level Two! This reflects our organization’s commitment to ensuring Veterans have access to quality end-of-life care. Click here for more information about the We Honor Veterans program
WHEN SHOULD I CONSIDER HOSPICE?
Most people believe they care only receive hospice services during the last few days or weeks of life. Actually clients typically could have qualified long before choosing to elect their hospice benefits. We encourage families to seek a hospice evaluation early when decline in health status is occurring so as to secure the full benefits of the hospice program. An evaluation by an Elevation Hospice nurse, in consultation with your doctor, can be done free of charge to determine if you or a loved one are eligible for hospice services. In addition to specific terminal diagnoses, some general indicators of health decline may also demonstrate a need for a hospice evaluation;
- Increased visits to the hospital, emergency room, or your personal physician
- Loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss
- Health changes, including incontinence
- Requiring more assistance in activities of daily living
- An increased need for medication to control pain and discomfort
- Increasing frequency and severity of falls
- Sleeping more than 12 hours a day
- A diagnosis of a terminal condition (e.g., CHF, Cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.)
WHAT CAN HOSPICE CARE PROVIDE?
Hospice care provides a variety of services to support clients and families as they navigate the challenges associated with a life-limiting condition.
- An on-call nurse available 24 hours a day
- Management of pain and other symptoms
- Personal care and homemaker services
- Spiritual and emotional support
- Durable medical equipment (wheelchair, etc.)
- Companion care
- Incontinence and catheter care
- Medical supplies (briefs, wipes, etc.)
- Medications for pain and discomfort
- Dietary counseling
- Respite care
- Wound care
- Bereavement support
- Short-term therapy services
- and more…
YOUR HOSPICE TEAM
Our compassionate hospice team provides a wonderful and personalized experience aimed at meeting the needs of you and your family. We strive to bring love, joy, and comfort to you and your loved ones in an environment of your choosing. Your hospice team may include;
- A Hospice Physician
- Registered Nurses
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- A Medical Social Worker
- A Spiritual Counselor
- Licensed Massage Therapist
- Therapists (PT, OT, SLP)